Monday, October 4, 2010

Otomo Yoshihide and Yamatsuka Eye

I went to a (largely improvised) noise festival on saturday night and I have to say one of the highlights was the Agents of Abhorence who are local boys and pretty much an old school grindcore band... you see what they had was starts and ends...I like starts and ends. The rest of the evening was just endless middle...with a few drawn out starts here and there.
I can handle music without rhythm/tunes/coherent lyrics but you need some discipline lads.
This tape is from at the London Musician Collectives 1994 Festival of Experimental Music, at  Conway Hall, Holborn. Phil England (Roachmill Drummer) was one of the organisers and gave me a copy, Its from the desk and exellent quality - I believe he released some ofit on a Resonance 7" single and ts worth noting that this set predates the one on the Blast First Hellshit/Carcrash CD by a year.
Yoshihide and Eye
Yamatsuka Eye is of course famous for his work with the Boredums and Otomo Yoshihide with Ground Zero, this collaboration was like nothing Ive seen before or Since. Yoshihide had a turntable and a huge stack of records that wound up all over the floor smashed to bits, he also had an extreme metal guitar and often he used both simultaneously - Over this cacophony Eye growled, shrieked and emitted allsorts of terrifying vocal spasms.
None of the songs are more than a minute so theres heaps of starts and ends, and I like starts and ends.
Yoshihide and Eye, London 1994 (30mb zip)
The initially restained applause from the seated and bemused jazz crowd is pretty entertaining too..

7 comments:

  1. Hah, I was there that night. Yoshihide and Eye were the best part. The rest of the "acts" or whatever you call them came off as kind of silly. There was a Canadian musicologist who played a tape of 100 interlaced tracks of music while playing along with his electric guitar. For 40 minutes. At one point, he had a temper tantrum because the PA wasn't rigged up right or something. And there was this improvisational jazz quartet that played endlessly and was just pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an amazing moment in the history of music. I am also proud to say I witnessed it along side my pal Paul who posted above. Thurston of Sonic Youth was very kind to talk with us at the event.. I believe he helped organize the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Talent..." I actually don't remember the Sonic Youth guy being there. I think you made that bit up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no deffinitely no Thurston Moore involvement on this one....

    ReplyDelete
  5. as for the "rest of the "acts" was this the show were some old hippy chick rolled marbles up and down a guitars frets?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took along a girl who had absolutely no experience of this type of music. When Yamatsuka Eye launched into the first ten minutes of screaming she was completely blown away and it changed her view of music even to this day. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I frankly doubt the audience were that phased by it, it was made up of a pretty hardcore group of musicians in their own right. I do remember the kid standing up at the front turning to the crowd indignantly, pissed off at the tame response.

    I believe it was John Wall doing the cutup tape stuff, but agree these two were the highlight of the evening.

    ReplyDelete