Tuesday, October 12, 2010

GBH

It seems like every week theres another bunch of wrinkley punk rockers hopping off the jetstar from heathrow and demanding their hard earned share of our retro-punk-nostalgia-dollar. Weve had buzzcocks, uk subs, the addicts (for gawds sake) as well as the more highly suspect lure of a pursey-less sham 69 and weller-less Jam.
From what I see in facebook it does sound like this phenomena has reached epidemic proportions in England with reformations blocking out the calendar like the locusts we expect here in victoria.
GBH are playing a decent sized venue so they are one of the few who may get more out of it than a free holiday and a last bask in pub backroom  glory.
Good luck to them, they will certainly play this litle beauty .... but ...its on sunday night and Im washing me hair (neh neh - yes I'still got some). Its not that Swanston Street is too far to go to revisit the past, its just GBH belong in my teens not the centurys'.

Gimme Fire - GBH




I remember there was this party at Kirstys flat in Epping, somehow Weed got control of the music just as the Acid kicked in, he managed to slip in Killing joke , GBH and then Discharge before nomal service was resumed . My fried brain was converting the audio input into ultra high definition footage of a giant steel and chrome machine pounding and grinding up meat. I still use that experience as my hardcore yardstick: close your eyes and see how scary it gets - it would be a shame to find  the benchmark compromised by age.


This was probably my first real hardcore gig, I remember the vibe was not exactly what you had at your typical Rubella Ballet gathering....but it was an amazing night.

I didnt tape this one , I bought it later cos the show just blew me away, theres no tracklisting but its got all the hits: gimme fire, drugs party, dead on arrival, diplomatic immunity, necrophilia (the chorus : "no remorse : screw the corpse" a personal favourite).


No comments:

Post a Comment