Saturday, April 26, 2014

mnttaB



This post is in honour of my dear old 4-track which finally hit the hard waste today, the tape stopped working in years ago, most of the Pots were dodgy but I used it as a mixer right up to when the power supply died.
My first attempts at making music on a PC where on an Amstrad 296 that I built out of spares from work, I managed to get a Parallel port dongle thing which held up to 1mb of samples and had a dedicated step sequencer and spent many fruitless frustrating hours trying to get something meaningful from that.

The breakthrough was when I upgraded to a 386 (with Windows 3.11) and got a Galaxy soundcard which had onboard Memory expansion slots. You could then persuade windows to access these via Midi-Mapper and away you went.
So this tape is hacked-up samples from Stupids, Unsane, Head of David, Big Black  records etc with vocals/guitar added via 4-track.. this is the first time I used the name mnttaB and the recycled Melody Maker cassette dates it as 1993.



No comments:

Post a Comment