Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Lost

Dads firm relocated to Witham so we moved from chingford to a shiny new house in Essex, and for me a new school. On my first day I had to do some tests to put me in the right class, waiting outside the head masters office was this kid with a bright red haircut and purple flares , Prent.  Later when it was lunchtime a skinny kid grabbed me and explained as we had packed lunch we had to sit on the stage of the assembly room to eat - not at the tables with the other kids. Woody.
We used to sit on a coal binker round the back of the school at breaktime doing the bored teenager thing and eventually decided to form a band, prent knew a guy called scraggy who would teach him some guitar, woody would drum and I would play bass. Woody had a brother Graham who loved the Who and wanted to be the singer/manager/promoter/svengali. He called himself Henry.
I bought a bass and an amp with money from my milkround , and my sister made a pair of bonndage strides based on Paul Simonons....after a couple of tries in the Woods' garage we progressed to full dress rehearsals at goldhanger village hall.  Henry renting a strobe and  us practicing our song and big entrance - walking from the halls kitchen to the stage with an audience comprised of the local alternative kid : Keith. 
Our dads would be there at 10 to take us and the gear home......




Maldons legendary "The Lost" Recorded at Spectrum studios Southen Essex, 27th February 1979


  • Drums: David (Woody) Wood
  • Vox: Graham (Henry) Wood
  • Guitar: Trevor (Prent) Prentice
  • Bass: Richard (ITN) Payne




  
"Walked into a party, just the other night
Wasnt very long before I got into a fight
This kid started hitting me - just pushing 12
That was when I new that something really wasnt right
Im too Old.." (repeat)






1 comment:

  1. That guys name who taught prent was shaggy ...but a marvelous piece coinciding with a conversation me,deb and sarah had about this only last night (feb 6th 2011). Henry ans i have been in the same room this year. Prent I keep saying I'll call but i never do (its been about 12-15 + years) and woody is in singapore or australia or something. MY home made LIVE at Goldhanger village hall with the complte works of the lost are one of my prize possesions (honestly!). and i still laugh when i reamember that the article at the top of this page was written by .....er, Henry !!

    ReplyDelete